Friday, August 16, 2013

OH THE BACKLOG!

Do you recognize, Viewer Dear, this white-haired man who got started in life alongside me?!
He came to visit me last weekend--when I was all crazy-blogging-chefs-non-stop.  We had such a nice weekend together, he and The Yard Man, and all my tiny actors!  




"Uncle Ken" is the new celebrity for this acting bunch!
......

In an unexpected blogging inspiration, Reader Dear, I'm giving you a cobbler recipe that elicited five-star sighs of appreciation when I served it to some of my dear friends last week.  If you've got fresh peaches and great big blackberry gems the likes of which one seldom sees, you're in luck!  

Q's White-Wine-Enhanced Fruit Cobbler

Set oven to 350*
Cream together:  1/4 Cup of butter (softened)
                            1/2 Cup sugar

Combine separately:  1 Cup flour
                          2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
                          1/4 Teaspoon Salt
                                  
Add dry ingrediants to creamed mixture alternately with
                          1/2 Cup almond milk  (the kind cows donate to the cause would also be acceptable)
  
Mix until smooth.  Pour batter into greased pan--something like 50 square inches.  (Because my high school Algebra teacher predicted that someday I would be a "great mathematician" and  (alas) this may not be the case for you*, Dear possibly-less-than-mathematically-inclined-Reader-Dear, I'll just let you in on a little secret--a 9X9 pan will do just fine.  Or a 10X5. [ Please do the best you can.   This cobbler will be worth it!]

Mix until smooth. Pour batter into pan.  Spoon over top:
                            2 Cups of fresh fruit (peaches, berries, cherries)
                           
Sprinkle with:  2 Teaspoons of  Sugar

Pour over all:  1 Cup Organic White Wine
                        (Please be advised.  Recipe calls merely for "fruit juice".  While I have made this cobbler many times using merely "fruit juice," it did not send me into Peach-and-Blackberry-with-Substituted-White-Wine heaven the way this one did!)

Bake 45-50 minutes.  Serve with something sweet and cold and possibly whipped. 


*And (alas) is also not the case for me!



.......

Latino Jazz...Sunday at the park
"Shooting stars," I had marked on my calendar (The Perseids).  "If there weren't such a massive cloud cover," I said to the Yard Man, "I'd want to spend the night right here at the park, looking up at the sky.  Maybe for once I'd get to see some of those meteors that every year I have the misguided notion I'm going to observe!"
 


 

.....



No comments: