Sunday, July 13, 2014

AFTER THE SAVORY

home-cooked meals served to me earlier this week, now it was my turn to feed a group.  Fortunately, the group was of a manageable  size (the thought of more than a dozen around the table makes me long for smelling-salts [I mean, I've never actually had any experience with smelling salts [nor have I had any experience with cooking for that many people by myself] but you get the idea [I'm hoping] Reader Dear! )

I didn't have to give much thought to planning the menu.  The birthday meal menu was chosen by First Daughter and has endured through the ages (her ages):  Ham, green beans and potatoes.

It's certainly a great time of year for this menu. (How serendipitous that she showed up when she did!)

I added coleslaw and corn-on-the-cob.  First Son-in-Law added the wondrous cake and the homemade mojitos!  Mmmm.

Birthday Coleslaw:
1 Small head of cabbage
1 Small carrot
1/4 Cup chopped onion
…...
1/3 Cup mayonnaise
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup half-and-half
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Loosely chop the head of cabbage, carrot and onion.
Mix together ingredients for the dressing and stir to thoroughly blend.
Put vegetables into bowl of food processor, pour dressing over vegetables, and pulse until of desired consistency.*
*I had to divide ingredients into thirds, and do this three times, as my food processor would not hold everything at once.





Reader Dear, I'm wishing many happy returns of the day to my dear First Daughter (and yes, of course, Happy Birthdays to you, too [whenever they may occur]!)





......


No comments: