Tuesday, December 21, 2010

...

(Cont'd)


OTHER THAN INHALING THROUGH HIS TEETH and giving a low whistle, I'm not at all sure what Thomas Rolfe did next.

I can only tell you, Dear Reader, that after I bounded out of bed at the sound of the 2:00 a.m. alarm, groped for my camera (lying on my dresser at the ready), and felt my way out onto the upstairs balcony...I shivered, and said to myself, I think Thomas got in on a better show than this one! There was nothing particularly colorful about the moon; it slightly resembled an eyeball.

But, of course, I realized the performance was only beginning; the best part was to come. I shamefully decided to skip to the highlight, and went back to bed, the alarm set for 3:15.

Next thing I knew, I was waking again, but not to the alarm.
(I'd forgotten to activate it.)
The time was 4:07!
Stumbling out onto the balcony once again, I could see that I'd missed the main show--earth's shadow was receding. Looks like this thing's about over! I commented loudly to the billion and a half other souls who might also be watching.

A billion and a half!! There had to be one or two others who missed the main wipe-out: that period of time with the lowest light;
you know, Dear Reader--the highlight.


...

No comments: