Saturday, February 6, 2010

...


WE HAD A BIRTHDAY BASH IN A BLIZZARD. The meteorologists say no, we didn't actually get a blizzard (not enough sustained wind*). And perhaps it wouldn't rightly be called a bash, either (not enough hoopla); but there was a whole heaping lot of snow today, and the birthday meal was a rather large endeavor.

The birthday celebrant and his wife (who happens to be my daughter-in-law) fortuitously arrived in this area (from southern Virginia) two steps ahead of the snowstorm. While the one was helping my yard man** to cope with the snow,





the other was devotedly putting together a bang-up meal a la Julia Child.



Owing to the fact that so much of the white stuff
was cleaned up so well (with a little help from road crews),
eight of us enjoyed the coq au vin and the
reine de saba avec glacage au chocolat
(oui, it's all French to me, too.)













Even if the main entree was a slight adaptation,
(two more roosters have left the henhouse--
I'm clucking my approval!),
the meal was a great success!








And though I had some grumbling to do
in regards to the snow, I'd have to say,
all-in-all this was a
tres bonne journee!










..........





*Clearly, there was some wind, as no one in this household could have sculpted this snowdrift so elegantly!




** (Lucky for me, my yard man works through the winter, even coming to the rescue when a tenant calls to tell me, The snow's up against my door! I can't get out! )

...

No comments: