Wednesday, February 10, 2010

...

AS THE SNOW RISES HIGHER AND HIGHER
and my world gets whiter and whiter, I turn the music up louder and louder. While I truly do appreciate the beauty of falling snow, there comes a point where enough is enough! This morning it seemed the snow was playing a nice little game of hide-and-seek. Aha! I could still see the car in the driveway. And there was no fooling me--I still recognized those bumps and mounds from the previous storm.




But by mid-afternoon I felt like a big old bump myself, and the snow seemed clearly intent on obliterating everything on the horizon. It kept on snowing to beat the band (or at least the Toronto Chamber Orchestra playing Samuel Arnold's Overtures, Op.8.) I should have been moving papers into the filing cabinet, or moving unnecessary items out of cupboards, or maybe just moving myself out of the house (I could have taken a nice little wallow in the snow!) But no, I started to vegetate. I could only rouse myself briefly to tend to a few other vegetative items--and those, poor things, were going into a kettle of soup!

I had to make the soup, you see, for Mr. Yard Man, who was working so hard. "Everything's shut down!" I told him when he came inside after clearing a path to the chicken house. "It's like we're out on the prairie, hundreds of miles from civilization. When we run out of food, we're done for! Thank goodness we'll have eggs," I added, " but I just put the last three potatoes in the soup!"





Well, then...I started to think of it snowing for forty days and forty nights.
I turned up the music a bit, and ran to get the set of Christmas lights that I've started to utilize as 'chase-away-the-gloom-of-short-days-and-long-nights' lights.

I can't tell you how often I filmed the snow falling.
(Well, I couldn't show you the snow plows, Dear Viewer,
as there were none past our house in all of those afternoon hours).
Branches were sagging,
and the afternoon was waning.
Dusk started falling along with the snow.
And then the wind picked up.


I called Ed, the man who plows out my snowed-in tenants.
"Can your plow handle this?!"
I wanted to know.
He assured me it could; and besides, "My son has a really big payloader," he said.
"We can always use that. But it's going to be drifting tonight. There's just no point in my plowing it now.
I'll see how things are in the morning.
"


I upped the music once more
and made myself a banana smoothie
...using the last banana.

That hard-working yard man will eat the final grapefruit.






And then...I guess we'll just see how things are in the morning.


...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my neighbors are on their way to FL...I'm going to pack myself in a trunk and go with them! We're buried in snow, here too but I got plenty of provisions before so we're all set for awhile....eating is one thing we do best in a storm!

gyjb50 said...

We too have kept some stringed lights up since the holidays to help brighten a couple rooms and keep the gloom away. I've seen some beautiful photos that were taken during these big snows we've had, and even taken a few walks out and about. Enjoy!

KTdid said...

I love that last line, Anon...bon appetit!

KTdid said...

I like your last line, too, gyjb...what I most definitely need is some out and about walking!