Monday, September 25, 2017

It's Going to be a Hard Winter!



 So says the man who lives with me every time I complain about the fructiferous Chinese Dogwood tree that grows beside our porch.  It's been dropping its pink fruit in historical abundance!  Record plenitude!

It's a bumper crop!

A copious yield!

The numbers, I'm afraid, are driving me nuts!

For you see, Reader Dear, these little balls (they look like cherries with warts) are easily squashed.  Stepping on them, they are crushed.  Leap now to the blight that is created by one vehicular trip over bounteous amounts on the driveway, gluing their soft and sticky insides to the pavement!

I've kept the broom handy.  In about five minutes I can clear the porch and the driveway both, as long as I get to them before they get overly ripe or are otherwise crushed.  But, ah, Dear Reader, they fall like fall leaves!  Five minutes after my labors it's time to pick up the broom again!

Surprisingly enough, this fruit is edible (I recently discovered)!  If I weren't so busy sweeping, I could bake Dogwood Berry pies and put up Dogwood Berries for the long, hard winter ahead!
(At the very least I'd make fruitcakes out of the fruit that is making a fruitcake out of me!)
 Pink blanket compliments of the Chinese





 




 




4 comments:

Suzanne Brooks said...

Loved your story. We have an abundance of crunchy acorns here in Denbigh. A cold winter must be on the way. Suzanne

Pat Hertzler said...

This is very interesting. I have one beside my front porch also. Years ago I ordered a dogwood tree and didn't get the native dogwood like I thought I was getting-got this one. It has a yellowish bloom instead of pure white and blooms a little later than the native cousin. Mine also gets those berries and it attracts a lot of attention. Mine was loaded also. I thought your info was very interesting. I always said it was a northern dogwood!!!

KTdid said...

Thanks, Suzanne! Yes, it does seem like all signs are pointing to a rough winter (I hope the squirrels are busy! :-)

KTdid said...

Hi Pat... Did you know the fruit is edible? I just found that out. It's a "Cornus kousa" and all the things you describe are true of our tree also.