Sunday, September 24, 2017

Final Day of Little School and Old Friends


Reunion.

It was Sunday morning.  There was a morning service at the church during which there was more sharing by younger alumni.  There was more group singing, too.

Lunch followed the service, and it was the final scheduled event of this reunion weekend.

However, there were a few other final things I wanted to slip into the weekend before leaving, so the Yard Man and I did not eat the meal at the school. 

We arranged to have a visit with the mother of my  LTF, and then to have a late lunch out with my LTF herself (Scratching your head?  I have a detailed explanation for you here, Reader Dear, never fear!)

Before leaving the official reunion, however, I squeezed in as much visiting as possible with anyone I'd missed greeting earlier.  Really, just anyone still hanging around after lunch.








I also went and hung out one last time with all those who had left long before.*











*A multitude of them who had left  [throat-clearing]  in a permanent kind of way.






























I did a quick perusal of  the photo displays one last time (hallways full of them!)


















I had one last study of the  model  community (built by an uncle of mine years ago).









I said a final good-bye to Lucas Creek. (The primitive little bridge that cars rumbled over in my youth is now [long] gone***).

***Yes, yes, Reader Dear, my youth is now [long] gone as well!



I said a final good-bye to the house where I made my first appearance as a squalling infant.










And then, just prior to heading the car in the direction of the North Pole  and saying goodbye to the whole Little School reunion, and the whole group of fellow alumni, and the whole tribe of dearly-beloved family (of the extended sort) and the whole panorama of my childhood,
I said goodbye to the pier, to the Warwick River.

"It's the end," I said to the Yard Man as we headed north,  
"the end of an era."
I wiped a tear from my eye.


4 comments:

LTF said...

Not the end, Dear LTF!! These places and their memories are the foundation on which we now stand!! This is where we got our values and the lessons and stories we tell our children. I will bet you remembered a few more stories to pass on!!

KTdid said...

You are right, Dear LTF!! I did consider that the church, the school, the community are all ongoing. And, furthermore, it's not even the end of my attachment...which will not happen until ALL my dear ones join that multitude with stones above them.

Betsy Culotta said...

It was a wonderful time and place to grow up with friends. Remember walking to school when the weather was beautiful and sipping on honeysuckle along the way?

KTdid said...

Betsy, yes! Although it's been a long time since I thought about the honeysuckle sipping. What a sweet remembrance! :-)