Thursday, October 12, 2017

I'm Putting together a Society



of fellow Ultimate Trippers.
I met a guy in the parking lot behind a thrift store a couple of months ago whom I welcomed into the club.  He claimed to have died more than one time for every decade of his life!  It's all because of motorcycles, he says.

He'll be eighty years old real soon (if he makes it, Dear Reader.  Or even, evidently, if he doesn't!)

Then, just yesterday, I inducted a third member!
It was Michael,  from a local pharmacy where I like to shop (Reader Dear, it's far more than a pharmacy; they've got all kinds of other  [necessary and some not-so-necessary] items in the store.  They've got lots of supplements, vitamins, and good snacks.  I was shopping for organic tea that would send me into the Land of Nod.

The first box of tea I picked up contained the herb Valerian.  I discovered this while I was scrutinizing the label, the list of ingredients, the suggestions, the warnings.  "Consult your physician if you are taking medications," said the box.

Yikes.  I looked for another box of tea and found one that promised me a "Good Night's Sleep" and did not contain Valerian.  Instead, it contained nine other leaves and peels and a "proprietary blend" of herbs.
Hmmm.  Would this second tea do the job as well?  Was it necessary to have Valerian in the mix to really get me snoring?

Reader Dear, I decided to ask one of the store employees who is there for consultation of this sort.

I carried the two boxes of tea to this man and I asked, "This one box of tea contains Valerian and a strict warning that I must ask my doctor about using it.  The other doesn't say anything about asking a doctor, and doesn't contain Valerian.  Do I really want Valerian?"  Then I added, "I died and came back, so I'm on a lot of meds.  That's why I'm asking."

 














"Well," he said, "When that happened to me...."

Reader Dear, my eyes popped open wide!

I discovered that Michael left this world behind because of an auto accident, on New Year's Eve two years ago.   But he, like me, returned!  

So we became instant buddies!
And that's when I inducted him into the club!


No comments: