Sunday, June 28, 2015

WE WERE OFF TO SEE

the wizard, The (wonderful) Yard Man and I!  Because, because, because, because, because...because of the (wonderful) things he does!  Yes, sir, Reader Dear! Here was the (wonderful) thing he did: "Let's go see The Wizard of Oz," he said.  "I hear it's really good!  I'm calling to see if they've still got tickets."

Two hours later we were taking our seats.


I sneaked one tiny photo, Viewer Dear, after they'd asked us to please do none of that!

And now I feel like an evil flying monkey for my transgression (but aren't these munchkins adorable?!)

Now, near the beginning of the show, I made a surprising discovery! Dorothy and Toto had just survived the tornado (yes, the very one that gave me nightmares, and a life-long fear of tornadoes, after my eight-year-old viewing of the movie), and had found themselves in an odd and colorful place.  Dorothy exclaims...(say it with me, Reader Dear)..."Toto, I've a feeling WE'RE NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE!"

The Yard Man leaned over and whispered to me, "So that's where that expression comes from!" 
Dear Reader, my first thought was...WHAT?!
My eyes left the riveting scene below (we were in the mezzanine) and I whirled to look directly into The Yard Man's eyes.  Was he pulling my leg?!* Did he truly not know the story of The Wizard of Oz?! Was he never acquainted with Glinda, or The Tin Man, or the ruby slippers?!  While I had been sitting in my seat, just waiting for Auntie Em, Uncle Henry and the farm hands to run for the cellar, the house to land on the Wicked Witch of the East, and this sentence to come out of Dorothy's mouth...was The Yard Man really taking in  this story for the very first time?!  It would be a story, to him,  in which anything could happen--Dorothy could suffer insomnia on twelve mattresses with a single pea underneath!  Or, she might meet a Prince Charming and trot off to the Emerald City on the back of a horse!

Well, Reader Dear, I'll just tell you now: It was true.  He did not know the story!

We both found this musical production to be quite fascinating, and very enjoyable! (Wow, the acting! The costuming!  The acrobatics! The live orchestra! The staging!)  The Yard Man, however, had the advantage of watching a brand-new story unfold!

**

As for me, well...I was able to whisper a few spoiler alerts (only given at the very last second, of course)..."He's really just a fellow Kansan!"..."All she has to do is click her heels and say..."

And you WELL KNOW what she has to say, as she clicks her heels! 
Uh, don't you....Reader Dear?!


...............................................
*A favorite pastime of his!
**Sound-deficient camera renders applause non-existent (in reality, the crowd clapped wildly!)

No comments: