Tuesday, June 16, 2015

ON THE SECOND DAY

of June, I spent the day in  Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love.

As it turns out, sisters get along pretty well here, too! I trotted around the Italian Market (and other interesting spots) with four of my sises-in-law, a niece, and a brother-in-law.

This family group of seven  happened into Termini Bros. Bakery just minutes before the shop was expecting a tour group; it was serendipitous!  "Are you our group?" We were asked, as we filed into the store (there are narrow aisles). "I guess so!" we responded.  But, hmm, there weren't quite enough of us.  We obviously weren't the larger group soon to arrive.

"Well, I think I've got time to give you a little tour before they arrive," said the woman who had greeted us.

Thus, we got in on our own bakery tour, and some samples!

And I've got it all for you, Viewer Dear! (Minus the tasty bites, of course...and you know that I WOULD share my samples if I COULD share my samples, though it would be rough!)



There were many things by which to be awestruck, Dear Reader.
The top three might be: The age of the place (second generation now getting on in years). The volume of baked items they produce every day (they likely mentioned a statistic, but I'm going on the two garbage-bin tubs of icing, and the wall of baking pans!) And, last but not least, the oh-man-I've-got-to-have-one-of-everything urge by which one is struck while in this busy bakery (yep, personal experience)!



 



 
Following the tour, and after our extended time of acquisition, we lugged all of our purchased pastries across the street, and ate lunch in the cafe that also features food by this same bakery family.
We were tickled to discover that every lunch includes a free glass of wine, and a  dessert! 
  
The food is so good, Reader Dear, that Mr. Termini himself joined us in the cafe, to eat his own yummy food!
Viva panetteria-proprietari italiani!
....................
...With our stomachs full, we continued on...
(to be continued on...)

No comments: