Tuesday, June 24, 2014

VERY-VERY-NEARLY

INTO VERY-VERY-EARLY
SUMMER:

The Little Actor pined for a chance to climb on the boxes during our very-very-nearly-summer visit to the Costco store.  "But the Costco office is right there," I said.  "They will see you!  They will not like to see someone climbing on the boxes!"
But, Reader Dear, here's what I was thinking--Why quash the small dream of this small child? What would be the harm?

Of course, the dream expanded into more than one foray into the depths of the boxes.  Naturally, the Little Actor was discovered by the office staff, as he clambered around atop their merchandise.   They, yes, indeed, frowned upon such an activity. Thus it ended.  Happily, however,  the dream had been realized, and without harm.
 ......

Next, chronologically, in the very-very-nearly section of this olio, came a small excursion of the hop-aboard-a-bus-from-the-mall-to-the-market sort. Two friends and I rode the bus into center city and visited a farmers' market that has been in continual operation for one-hundred and twenty-five years (give or take a few months). 

It was a delightful excursion on the final day of spring.

 



 ......


Then very-early-summer arrived.
I welcomed the season by concocting Very-Late-Night Bean Salad, which I carried to a potluck meal at church on the very first early-summer morning of the year.
3 Cups black beans
2 Cups corn kernels (frozen)
1 Cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 Cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 Cup purple onion, minced
1/2 tsp. red chili pepper (if desired, if brave)
3 cloves of garlic, crushed, minced
1/2 Cup lime juice
1/2 Cup oil (flaxseed or olive)
1 tsp. sea salt


I squeezed the limes, mixed the lime juice and oil in my little food processor,
then added the chopped garlic.  I was too chicken to add chili pepper.  All other ingredients I variously chopped, minced, diced, measured and mixed together.

Next I went out onto the porch and listened to the neighbors as they caroused.  They handily carried that  tenth birthday party for the twins across the midnight divide.  Sadly, I missed seeing the fireworks, busy as I was chopping garlic; but let me tell you, Reader Dear, those pyrotechnics were loud enough to wake the living dead (or at least the snoring Yard Man)!








My final step was to pour the dressing over the salad and gently mix everything together.  Then the Very Late-Night Bean Salad rested for a few hours in the fridge while next door the drumming and loud laughter wound down.  
                                                                   
......
There were three other dishes of bean salad at the potluck meal.  The Yard Man and I ate some of the left-over Late-Night variety for supper before heading to the very first very-early-summer concert in the park.


......


3 comments:

sk said...

Can I come for bean salad?

sk said...

Can I come for bean salad?

KTdid said...

sk, the bean salad has bean eaten, but it's bean too long, so yes on more bean salad. And yes!