Thursday, August 30, 2012

....SO HERE I AM, with the letter. I'm talking, Reader Dear, about that letter that is forty-eight and half years old. The one I unearthed from my attic on Tuesday.
("Daddy and mother are treating me fine, even though I'm a big boy of 21. I like plastering for Daddy and he pays me well," wrote my cousin Harold all those years ago. And there was more, you know--all that talk of a girlfriend [I only shared a tiny portion, Reader Dear] Oh, my, was that boy in love!)

Okay, now, Dear Reader, hold onto your hat! Here's a sudden quirk of fate!

Out of that whole big box of papery antiques I found, it was only the check and the letter I shared with you. (To be honest, I didn't look at every brittle piece of old paper; I'd still be slumped over the box if that were the case!) I didn't show you any old deeds, or the cute little electric bills from the forties. You didn't see the plumbing invoice, either, Viewer Dear, typed up on the very day my parents looked at their newborn twins and exclaimed, "One week old! Will we ever sleep again?!"

Oops, I don't want to get off-track. The whole point is, Reader Dear, that I chose THAT LETTER to share with you THAT DAY out of so many options (Keep it in mind if you wish to be impressed; if you're not one to marvel at coincidence, then just forget it!)

......


I cleaned my attic that day. And I found the letter that day (after all those long years in the box).
I blogged about the letter that day.



Then I called a sister of mine. "I want to send this letter to Harold and Christine. They ARE still married, aren't they? Don't they live in New Mexico? Do you have their address?"
"He's my friend on Facebook," she said, "but my computer's not working. I don't have the address, but I know they're in Albuquerque."
"Oh, Facebook!" I said. "Yes, I can look there. But I never see anything posted from him."

I looked on Facebook.
And...
THAT VERY DAY

(Suspense should be building)
...THIS, Dear Reader, is what I saw:

Harold: Today Christine and I celebrate our 47th wedding anniversary! I am so proud to have her as my beloved wife! I worked hard to get her (even begging on my knees), and she is still precious. Thanks be to God. Now on with plans for our 50th...
.....
I don't know about you,
Reader Dear, but I'm grinning from ear to ear!
What are the odds?*
*I love a happy ending!

......

No comments: