Sunday, September 2, 2012



WHILE I WAS stepping it off at my park the other day, I heard sirens sounding. Then two rescue cars sped by. Because the sirens soon stopped, I figured whatever the problem, it was close at hand. And sure enough, on my way home about ten minutes later, I came upon the scene of an accident. Naturally I pulled out my camera. (Oh, yes, naturally!)
A police officer was directing traffic, holding up vehicles on the small side
road on which I was waiting, and letting traffic on the main route flow through. A photographer with a news truck and a tripod had situated himself a short distance up the road and was photographing the misfortune. As I was idling there, I thought to get a record of the action for myself.

But, ah me---I missed the action I really wished to show you, Viewer Dear! Just as I was busy producing my little movie, the cop motioned my way (well, he motioned to the car waiting ahead of me, who pulled out onto the main road.)




Since I was preoccupied, I didn't move forward, and missed my chance to go. Ah, well, I thought, there's no one behind me--no harm done.

But, dear me! Marching over to my car, the policeman had a decidedly unhappy look. Yes, I believe I can honestly say he was P.O.'d (a term that does not translate to "perpetually optimistic")

"You weren't watching me! You were taking pictures!" he scolded. "That's dangerous! You're going to have to wait ten minutes now! I'm not going to direct you to go for TEN minutes! You'll just have to wait!"
 
Now I can't tell you, Dear Reader, how badly I wished to say in a sweet voice, "Well, since I'm waiting here, and you have a moment or two, could you kindly repeat those words for the camera?" (Oh, the lengths I am willing to go to for you, Viewer Dear!)

However, undoubtedly to my good fortune, and also to my surprise, the cop finished issuing his first-grade-style admonition, strode to his police car, got in it, and drove away!

I waited the minute or two while the Amish men carted the broken buggy across the road in front of my car, and down alongside the (unused) ambulance that was waiting there. Then I waited another minute for a break in the traffic; after which I went on my way. Thoroughly chastised!
(Oh, yes, thoroughly!)

......

No comments: