Tuesday, May 1, 2012

MAY DAY! It's the first day of May, which always, Dear Reader, recalls for me the day I danced around a May Pole (uh-huh, wearing the mint green dress my mother had commissioned a seamstress to sew for me, and carrying the end of the mint-green streamer, weaving around the seven other seventh-grade girls with their pastel frocks and various-colored streamers [I hope it was a lovely sight])
......
First day of May here, but second day of Cape May, where The Yard Man and I are driving along toward Sunset Beach and we spot a cluster of people by the side of the road, a line of cars.
"Maybe there's an auction," I say. We drive on by, but crane our necks for a view.















"Oh, wow," exclaims the yard man. "It's a bread line!" He turns the car around, and we drive back to be part of the no-auction action.


From the locals, we get the story of this bread-baking phenomenon.
"Next time you should get here at ten, as soon as she opens!" they say.  "You should see the line in the summertime!"

We get into the line, which nearly doubles as we're  waiting.  We purchase a loaf. (And two chocolate-chip muffins that make us swoon).
.......

Now jump out of the line to today, Dear Reader, this May Day morning, the weather a rumbly gray.  The Yard Man and I are pleased to have slices of our Cape May experience with our freshly-laid eggs.* We both make appreciative noises (similar but not alike). "If only," we sigh, "we'd bought more of this bread!"
.....


*(The hens are only briefly forgiven their
wayward ways.)

No comments: