Friday, October 18, 2013

HARD WORK!


Yesterday the weather was bright and sunny, but only when the clouds indulged the sun, and opened up windows for it.  I was out on the road, working hard, but only in a sit-behind-the wheel sort of way, and planning which route was best for taking me to the appliance store.

Just as I realized that the clouds were being less generous than they'd been an hour ago, I passed some people hard at work in a much harder 'hard work' way.  And I thought about the fact that  'making hay while the sun shines' would be a very apt description of what these folks were doing, if only the crop were wheat instead of corn and the sun were shining!

 Now, Viewer Dear, these folks were Amish, and I immediately wanted a picture, but I felt too hesitant to put on the brakes, jump from the car and openly photograph them.  Besides, I was moving along at a good clip, and I just didn't have time to make a plan.  As I continued on my way, however, I was more and more convinced I needed a video!  (I had to show you these hard workers in action, Viewer Dear!)  So I came up with a strategy in which I would remain in my car, pull off the road just a tad (there was almost no shoulder) and put on my four-way blinkers.  Then I would simply open my driver's-side window and start filming!  Of course, this plan necessitated that I be driving in the original direction that I was traveling at the time I spotted the scene. 

I pulled into a driveway and  turned the car around.  Then I drove past the workers, pulled into another driveway (there were few other places to reverse my route) and turned around again.  Now I was all set to film the action!  But...alas..as I approached the field, I could see that the horses, wagon and workers were no longer reaping alongside the road.  They had made a full circle and the Amish were unloading the wagon at the back of the field.  Would they now take a lunch break?  If I gave it another try, how long would I have to wait?  There was nothing to do right then, of course, but to drive on down the road.  If I were going to try again, I'd have to turn around again.

 I had a little debate with myself and decided to give it another shot. In the farm lane where I was maneuvering a turn-around, I had a distant view of the field.   If no one comes along to make me move , I thought, I'll just wait here and see if they resume their work.  And what do you know, Reader Dear, very shortly I could see them once again moving along the edge of the standing corn near the road.

I drove past, turned the car around again, and came up alongside them.  Goodness, these horses were moving down the field at a surprising pace!  I didn't have a second to waste!  No one seemed to notice me parked by the road, camera resting in the open window, and I got two excellent short movies before they progressed out of the picture!  I was very pleased with myself.

With a big smile on my face, I set off down the road.  I was back on track and well on my way to the appliance store when I came to a stop sign.  Paused there, I found it irresistible to take a small peek at my terrific videos of the Amish hard at work ( just to admire them, you know, Viewer Dear).
























Aaaaaagh! I gave a long and piteous groan.  Obviously, the camera was off when I thought it was on, and on when it was supposed to be off!

I need to have my head examined! I muttered. 

Then (sigh) I reversed my route.



(Getting these pictures for you was such hard work, Viewer Dear! Hard Work!)
 
......


No comments: