Tuesday, January 18, 2011

...


I'M PULLING INTO THE DISTRICT MAGISTRATE'S office. Quests have ended.











I made my last plea for the rent that is owed just before coming here (the fourth try if you're counting--and that's not toting up the unanswered phone calls and recorded messages left for this tenant, the registered letters not accepted at the door, the letters sent via regular mail that were never taken from the box--I don't have a key, she'd say. Again and again I said, Go to the post office; it's just a mile up the road! until I finally understood: Who wants a key? Who really wants a key? No key--no nasty bills from the box! No letter from the landlord, either!]).

That's all in the past, however. I had no idea if she'd answer the door today.
She let the phone ring when I called from the parking lot to tell her I was there.

But she came to the door on the second doorbell ring.
And she told me to sue her.
"Just sue me!" she said.

Okay. (Gulp) It's the first time anyone's requested that of me.
It's a very unpleasant chore,
but I'll try to oblige.


...


...

1 comment:

jut said...

Wish my mailbox had a key...heh...