Friday, January 14, 2011

...


ANOTHER GORGEOUS, SUNNY DAY, TODAY.
WINTER is trying to appease;
not so, my less-than-ideal tenant.
Once again, I find myself ringing her doorbell.
Just as yesterday, she opens the window above me and peers down.
"Why didn't you call?!! I have to go to the bank! Why didn't you call me first?!"
"Well," I say, in as gentle a voice as I can muster. "I will come back. What time would you like for me to come back?"
"Four o'clock," she says. "Come back at four."
"All right. Okay. I'll be back at four," I say, but she has already closed the window.

I look at the clock and it is 2:55 p.m. I should have come here first, before I went to the Post Office and ran my other errands. It's not a great distance to go home for the interim, but I would rather not. I drive to my bank, quite nearby, and I spend most of the next hour sitting in the parking lot, chatting on my cell phone.

At 4:05 p.m I'm knocking once again at the door of apartment #15, in a third quest for January rent payment. There is no answer to my knock, but both of less-than-ideal's cars are in the parking lot. I ring her up on my cell phone. The person you are trying to reach is not accepting phone calls at this time, the phone politely tells me. I do not talk back to the phone so politely.

As I'm driving home, I make bets with myself. Will there be a fourth quest? How about a fifth, huh? Or a sixth? Maybe a hundred-and-thirty-first?! Or a six-hundr---

Oh, good grief...I will keep you posted, Reader Dear.
(just in case you want to, you know, place a wager yourself.)

...

No comments: