Sunday, September 5, 2010

...





I HAVE A CHANGE OF ROUTINE, although to call it a "routine" is probably just wishful thinking. Here's the fact--I'm not walking "the walk" anymore. For the past month, my exercise has been taken at a nearby park. It's not so far to drive (exactly two miles), the stepping-along is all on the level (no uphill huffing and puffing), there are no cars swishing by me (just dogs, trotting or sniffing), and the lovely loop of the walking trail is executed in exactly ten minutes (at my arm-swinging best).









Today being one (of a handful) of the very finest-weather days of the whole entire year, and my yard man being gone on his and his son's and his son-in-law's Most Excellent Camping-slash-Hiking Adventure, and my
visiting NYC sis having returned to her NYC home, I spent four loops at the park.

It's such a simple little park, Dear Reader, one might suppose that taking one's exercise here might have
the blandness of a treadmill (I must confess, it was my fear).

But it wasn't long before I learned to know the abundance of engaging details:






There's a small body of water, a pleasing little vegetated pond, where dwells at least one bullfrog (I've never met him, but he often croaks hello).

And, yipee, there's a small flow of water, as well (which some--who never did live beside an actual river--may call a river
[it's only a creek, Dear Reader, though it
tends to swell to river-like proportions when there's lots of rain. It swells and rushes, carries canoes, and entertains many a swimmer--canine and otherwise.
Today, in its undisguised, low-creek state, it disappointed would-be canoeists]).













Of course, there are trees of all sizes. This spectacular one is my favorite, though I have yet to discover its name (I learn to know the names of dogs on a regular basis).

Best of all, there's a huge arena--I never know what the show of the day will be.



Today's was delightful!



I'm trying my best to make this
'Four Loops at the Park' a routine.



...

No comments: