Thursday, September 11, 2008

...

I HAVE A ROUTE. IT'S MY WALKING route, and if I were a well-disciplined person, I would be following it every day. As it is, I'm out there walking The Walk about every other day, on average. That's in agreeable weather. And that's in agreeable seasons. And that's also when I force myself to take the time. Otherwise, its anybody's guess whether I can muster up the effort to put on my walking shoes and hike up the road. When I say "up the road" it's quite literal, as I live on a fairly steep hill. In fact, it's so steep that I never choose to walk down the hill because down is longer and "what goes down must come up." Up is more arduous on the down section of the hill. Okay, did I make myself as clear as mud? I thought so.

Anyhow, my route starts out uphill...for the first five minutes. It's wooded to my left; I can't see the western sky, where the sun is fast sinking to the horizon. But when I reach the crest of the hill (slightly winded)



the road makes a big curve to the left and my reward for the climb lies ahead...the panorama of the sky and a long, gently undulating stretch that takes me straight ahead to the Amish farm

where Jakie and Rachel and their four youngest children live. The road splits the farm--the house and main barn on the right and the garden on the left. I'd have some photos of both to show, were it not for the fact that Rachel was out picking lima beans in her garden this evening. "We're getting a bumper crop of them this year," she told me. "And they're bringing so much money at market, they're almost too valuable for us to eat!"

I say goodbye to Rachel. Up ahead is the Amish schoolhouse, such a short walk for Rachel's kids!

I'm still on The Walk, and the sun is now dropping below the horizon. I know from experience the daytime show in the sky is beginning its grand finale.
Before long it's earnestly dark, and I turn to retrace my steps.

Ha! It looks for all the world like the Amish have rigged up electric lights for their school!
I'd happily extend The Walk if darkness weren't stumbling all over and falling around me--I'd turn left at the school.

But I can't stop the light from fading. I head for the bend in the road, and just before I go around it, I say a final goodbye to the sun and snap this picture for you, Dear Reader. Thanks for tagging along!

...

No comments: