Wednesday, December 30, 2009

...


I'M POSTING TODAY NOT BECAUSE I REALLY HAVE ANYTHING NOTEWORTHY TO SAY, BUT BECAUSE I want to make note that today is the penultimate day of the year. Of course it's also the penultimate day of the decade. Hopefully you'll notice that I've used the word penultimate twice (and now a third time--but not for the penultimate time in this posting). It was my sister Shishe who taught me this word, and it's one of her favorites. (She didn't tell me that fact, I just happen to know.) The word fascinates me simply because I ponder needing a word for "next-to-last." Whomever it was that felt we should have a four-syllable word to describe what could clearly be explained in three syllables might have better assigned the word to mean: next-to-next-to last. Just a thought, as I write my penultimate (okay, now--this is my penultimate use of the word) posting of the year; which, of course, also makes it my penultimate posting of the decade.


...

No comments: