Wednesday, January 21, 2009

...

WHERE I LIVE, IT IS twenty degrees above zero at this hour and the expected low tonight is sixteen degrees. On this exact day a quarter century ago, it was far colder here. The night air dipped down to minus fifteen. It was record-breaking for this area, that bone-chilling cold. If you think I'm going to blather on about the frigid weather again, however, I must quickly inform you that I only mentioned the foregoing as a segue to another tale about that day twenty-five years ago. In fact, I only remember the chill of that night because of my strenuous job performance of that evening and the very heart-warming gift I received for it. Truly a gift like no other, and presented with fine music.

Heavenly music!
The healthy squawking of a newborn child. That's what I was listening to at this precise moment twenty-five years ago. Shortly thereafter, I held my tiny dark-haired daughter and watched as her bright little eyes calmly studied her surroundings. "So this is where I've landed" she seemed to be pondering.

She's had twenty-five years to investigate further.
I've had twenty-five years to treasure this gift.
Happy Twenty-fifth Birthday, my sweet Caroline!



...

No comments: