Tuesday, January 20, 2009

...

I FED THE CAT THIS morning and then drove to attend the 56th Presidential Inauguration! The sun was shining brightly and I looked forward to being part of the energy and excitement.
I wanted to witness history! And I was fortunate...


...to end up with a really good spot and get some great photos! No heads blocking my view, no standing on my tiptoes and straining to aim a camera with an arm outstretched above my head, no mob pressing in around me! I could hear every word clearly and witness every detail. It wasn't cold. It wasn't windy. But it was exhilarating. It was exciting, even from my perch on a comfortable chair in a warm room! Thanks to a generous sister-in-law, I spent my day at the nation's capitol with fellow enthusiastic Obama fans via a front-row seat to a large-screen TV.


We spectators at this particular inaugural gathering had our own running commentary on events, our own--slightly scaled down from the Statuary Hall--inaugural luncheon. We toasted our good fortune in witnessing, at long last, a brand new qualified president take office. We toasted the ushering-in of a new spirit of racial equality. We took note of Dick Cheney in a wheelchair. We delighted in every contribution to the ceremony--the prayers..."mellow-yellow" and all...the swearing-in, the musical offerings...go Yo-Yo!..the poem, the inspiring address that Obama gave to not only America, but the whole world--all of it. We loved Aretha's hat. We followed the activities at the luncheon, tried to figure out exactly what made up those floral arrangements on the tables. We saw Senator Kennedy loaded into the ambulance and then later heard reassurances as to his condition. I was happy to give up most of my day to this historic event.


Returning home late in the afternoon, I stopped in at the post office. It was busy with people hurrying in and out. I stifled the urge to whistle Hail to the Chief for all to hear. Some may have noticed a happy little grin on my face, however, as I contemplated the day and its uplifting events!


When former president Geo. W. Bush came into office, I uttered these prophetic words, "America is going down." That was eight long years ago and now, unfortunately, no one can deny we are "down" in nearly every aspect (true, not unemployment). So I'm going to venture a new prediction, now that Bush is safely back in Texas, and Obama has taken the helm. I believe that hope will grow, in spite of the rough road ahead. America is going to follow this phenomenal new leader and ultimately arrive at a whole new paradigm of governing. We will pick ourselves up. And we will rise again!

...

No comments: