Tuesday, January 6, 2009

...

IT WAS FOURTH GRADE recess time and, oh thank heavens, there wasn't going to be a softball game today; no need to cringe and wish for my puny body to disappear so as not to be added by default to one unlucky team! No, today the mad scramble by all was to obtain a jumping board. Goody gumdrops, here was my moment to shine!

Jumping boards were all the rage at the small parochial school where I received my first
six years of schooling-- the "Little School" as it's affectionately been known by its alumni. I have my doubts jumping boards were a universal pastime on other school playgrounds, but they were certainly a regular sporting event in our grassy schoolyard! Equipment was the simplest sort--a long limber board, maybe a foot wide and ten or twelve feet long (standard lumber-size, I'm sure), laid atop a cinder block (or two for the very daring). We were discriminating in our quest for the most flexible board, and we studiously adjusted the fulcrum for maximum results.

Basically, it was a see-saw for jumping. And jump we did! When it was my turn, everyone clamored for Johnny on the other end of the board. Oh yes, he was the largest kid in the class. I was the smallest. When he took a flying leap onto his end, I would be propelled into the stratosphere. Up, up I sailed above the heads of the tiny boys and girls below, who cheered at the heights I could achieve. It was magnificent! I was in the clouds! (Or at least it's for certain I reached Cloud Nine).

Clutching my skirts about me, the feminine burden of modesty prevailed as I plummeted back to earth. (Fine if anyone saw London or France, they weren't going to see my underpants!) I knew one had to keep one's wits about oneself to descend to the proper spot on the board, not falling off, not twisting an ankle or breaking a leg! I would aim for a landing, my heart thumping with exhilaration and derring-do.

As I hit the board, Johnny would get a slight bump skyward. It was sufficient. Down he'd come with a blow that launched me into another wow-producing flight. Then down again. And up again. And down. I could have jumped all day. I could have juuumped all day! And still have begged for more. I could have spread my wings, I could have....but of course my turn lasted only as long as those awaiting their own were content to be spectators. Or I landed awkwardly off the board--whichever came first.

It was okay. As I awaited another turn, I could secretly revel in the fact that it was only I--jointly jumping with Johnny--who truly touched the sky!

...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such optimism--a soaring tale.

(I missed you. Where've you been?)

s

KTdid said...

Sometimes it's all I can do to slog,
much less blog.
k