Friday, June 14, 2019

Notes

These are of the musical sort, Listener Dear.

Always, it seems, when I'm playing Occasional-Blogger-Catch-up, at least a few of the events I want to tell you about are musical performances.  It's an interest the HM and I share, attending concerts.  Hence, we're often running off to the park for free ones, or buying tickets to the costlier kind.

Here's the latest line-up:

May 19, 2019
Dean and Dale Concert
A yearly event in which a group of musicians (aha, my HM included) gets together for some rehearsing, and then gives a free concert for whomever wishes to attend.  This year was their Ten-Year Concert*!  They always have a great mix of songs!



*You can go ahead and expect that I'm a bit prejudiced, Listener Dear, but I thought it was terrific, as well as their best concert so far (of course, I've got perfect attendance!)


May 30, 2019
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

HM walked into the house late on a Thursday afternoon, and suggested we could go to this concert.   
"I'm game!" I told him.

"Let's see if I can still get tickets," he replied, as he pulled out his phone.

We really didn't have time to eat supper.  I grabbed a light jacket and off we went.


And, wow! Four of the original members of this band, formed in the early 1970's, drummed and strummed and sang for us.

This concert, too, I declared terrific!




June 2, 2019
First Concert of the Summer Music Series
at Long's Park
John McEuen and The String Wizards

All throughout the winter and spring seasons I look forward to these summer concerts at the park!  I like to picnic prior to the music. It's such a relaxed way to eat a meal (or, yes, even a snack).

This first concert was nearly a washout.  I had carried along some food to eat; but, as we approached the park, torrents of rain were dumped from the heavens.    HM and I sat in the car for a while, discussing the odds of hearing a concert.  Then, as if strictly instructed to do so, the rain stopped falling at precisely the time for concert start-up!  Of course, everything around the picnic tables was a big, wet, muddy mess.  Needless to say, it was a slim crowd at the park.


Sadly, I can't present you with much of the music, either; there were distractions (though, other than the water dripping from the wet trees onto the wet picnic table and onto the snacks and anyone sitting on the wet benches of the already wet picnic table, the distractions were good ones, as you'll see, Reader Dear).


Still Life with Pita Bread, Chips, and a Magnolia Tree


It was an evening of perks!

Like I said, the rain stopped, and the sun tried real hard to peek through the clouds.That was a definite plus.

Then, some guy came around to tell us that in honor of Water Week, free trees were being handed out, compliments of the Lancaster Conservancy and the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.  These were all trees that are native to the area.

Naturally, I ran around through the wet grass trying to obtain a Redbud tree (from a choice of eight or ten kinds of trees).

"They're going fast, but I'll get you one from the main tent," said the nice guy who had first informed us of the trees.  Alas, when he got back to the card table with his wheelbarrow-load of trees, he had no Rosebud.  That supply had been exhausted, he explained.  But, he didn't want any leaves without a tree (pun alert).  So, I chose a Magnolia before leaving.














Third perk was a tattoo artist who showed up and was offering custom-designed tattoos for the bargain price of just fifty cents!

I ordered a tattoo for my Small Actor and was so impressed by the artist's work that I took a sudden notion to get one for myself!  It is a tastefully done clover leaf on my left hand.  It's not quite as permanent as the real things, but, hey, consider the price!

I should say, Viewer Dear, this tattoo artist was none other than my Tiny Actor!  Should you care to take advantage of this fantastic offer, there's a pretty good chance I could make it happen (though I can't guarantee his rates have not gone up; he's gotten one or two five-star reviews!).


                                                                     
See, Dear One, how I got side-tracked from my Notes?
Never fear, there'll be more to follow.

************

*It was their Tenth Year,
but the Ninth Annual Concert.
I've had  perfect attendance only
because it didn't suit my schedule one  year
and the HM cancelled the whole show!



No comments: