Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Riding the Bus

around Savannah, Georgia, the HM and I were trying to get an idea of the best spots in the city for driving the car and parking it, in order to peruse more museums or shops; the weather was quite miserable for walking around.

On the bus, we met Snake and his friend (Snake is how he introduced himself; I'm doubtful that he was given this name at birth, but I can't say for sure).

The story of suspense and romance they presented was one of the highlights of my day.

The two of them
climbed aboard the bus soon after HM and I had boarded.

Immediately after seating themselves diagonally across from us, Snake began a plea directed toward us. He animatedly enjoined us to instruct the woman by his side to marry him!

"She's got to marry me!  I spent a long, long time in prison, never thought she'd still be here for me! Now, we just randomly ran into each other!  She's got to marry me!  Tell her she's got to marry me!"   He said it all like a run-on sentence.  He was ecstatic!

If you know me at all, Reader Dear, you know I was jumping into this story even before I had the opportunity to ask the first question, eager to know all the facts!*

*In spite of HM's admonition to disregard Snake's pleas and leave them both to figure out  their whole personal love story for themselves.

First things first, I wished to know if Snake had been jailed for a crime or misdemeanor that  some white man had trumped up out of animosity.  No, he responded that he had deserved the sentence.  She agreed.  I was too circumspect to ask what it was, though he likely would have told me (and I didn't really care to know; he seemed genuine and was sorry for whatever it was he had done).  At any rate, there were more important issues to address.  I found out other details (he was on Cloud Nine, happy to give an interview).
And then, I asked Snake's lady love,
"Do you have a relationship with anyone else?"

Oh, dear me, Dear Reader!  She did, indeed.  She had already promised her hand in marriage to someone else!  She'd never dreamed there would be another chance with Snake (or perhaps she got tired of waiting).  They had lost touch completely.  She was in shock.

"Oh, oh.  I do not envy you!" I said to her.
Here's the thing, Reader Dear:
I had such sympathy for Snake, all those long years thinking his life had gone down the drain.  Afraid to hold out hope for his long lost love.
I had such sympathy for the unknown suitor who had wooed and expected to wed this sweet woman seated here, now being wooed by a long-lost love.
Most of all, I had great sympathy for the girlfriend (sorry, Reader Dear, that I'm not sure of the name.  It seems she said, Viola, so  I'll just call her that. I ask forgiveness if I've got it wrong).   Viola appeared to be somewhat quiet, and she had a beautiful smile.  So did Snake. 

I knew that Viola had a very tough decision ahead of her. Snake continued to express his love and devotion to her, continued to insist that it was he who needed her to make his life complete! He continued to insist that HM and I instruct her to MARRY HIM!

Snake and Viola were first to disembark from the bus.  HM and I were continuing on.  I had strongly cautioned Viola to take her time, to not let Snake rush her into a decision.  To Snake, I'd said:   "Give her time!  You know there's someone else involved!  She has to know you're the right one  for her!"

HM agreed with all my advice. We both wished them well and waved good-bye.  They exited the bus and walked down the sidewalk together as the bus pulled away.

Well, then!  Alas, Reader Dear, you understand that that ended the story (for me, as well as for you [but not for Viola; she had to walk off into life with a tough decision ahead!]).

Suddenly, I wanted to stop the bus!
I wanted to disembark, dash down the sidewalk, get a phone number or email address!
HM, however,  cautioned against such an action.
I was torn!
I couldn't make up my mind fast enough, and the bus sped up as it trundled along the street of Savannah.
Very soon I knew the opportunity was lost forever.

I'm going to have to live with this fact for the rest of my life:
Reader Dear,  I'll never know with whom Viola chooses to live for the rest of her life!**

*****************
**Alas!





 



No comments: