Wednesday, March 13, 2019

I was So Wired up That Night!

(Reader Dear, in case you were sleeping through the prior post, I'm referring to the night of the sleep study at the sleep lab) One would not suppose that it would be easy to sleep in such a wired-up state.   However, after a few hours of TV watching,  I decided to give it a try.  I reached over to turn off the bedside lamp, miscalculating my reach just enough to send the TV remote crashing to the floor.

It put me into a quandary:  Should one call out for the attendant, just because one doesn't  know how far one can lean down to retrieve the remote in one's wired-up state?
Should one stretch as far as possible with the risk of crashing to the floor oneself?
Or, hmmm, should one just sit on the edge of the bed and pick up the remote with one's feet (even if one has to make several attempts at this) ?

Well, Dear Reader, you've followed one's thought processes all the way to the retrieval of the remote!  I turned off the TV, turned off the lamp, turned off all thoughts of further wakefulness, and gradually took leave of my senses.

Though I awoke several times throughout the night, tentatively and painstakingly rearranging myself on the bed (from left side to right side and back again),  it was a relatively restful night; but, short!  It came to an abrupt end when Diane entered the room with a cheery "Good morning!" at six a.m

"We let you sleep late!"* she announced.

*Dear Reader, I tried to tell myself that "late" is a relative term.  I imagined a groom at the altar, waiting a whole half-hour for his bride to appear.   Or someone waiting thirty minutes to eat one's goose, after it's been cooked.**
**"They let me sleep really late," I said to myself.

Diane removed all the wires.
"You can take your time getting dressed," she told me.  "We (the night staff) leave at six-thirty, but a morning person comes in, and he can let you out the door."
  Just like coming in the building the evening before,  it gave me a strange feeling to make my way through deserted halls.  I sat in the empty lobby for a while, waiting on the HM to collect me.  Upon his arrival,  I walked out into the open air, and the sun was just kissing the horizon.

The parking lot was almost empty.  The morning was lovely and clear.  The air was brisk.
"Wow!" I marveled.  "Wow, if it weren't so early in the morning, I could really enjoy this time of day!"
..............

No comments: