Sunday, March 10, 2019

Just One More

St. Augustine posting, Reader Dear.
I can't help myself.
And, after all, I'm not eager to leave this place
(you know what I mean--don't want to stop re-living Florida; don't want to stop re-living thoughts of bitter cold back home [gleeful little thoughts of the winter weather I was missing]!)



There was the Bridge of Lions, built in the 1920's, that spanned the Matanzas River..
 
 
It ran from the old part of St. Augustine over to Anastasia Island, where the hotel in which the HM and I were staying was located.  This meant that we crossed the bridge several times during our two-day stay. 

Reader Dear, I've got to describe two of these trips over the river, because at that time, HM and I did not cross the bridge together. 

We had finished our dinner at Harry's Seafood Bar and Grill (where Catalina did or did not grant this blogger a visit).  From our spot on the balcony, we had had a lovely view of the bridge, and were watching as evening arrived and the lights of the bridge came on.

Then, too, there was a nearly-full moon in the sky to light up the night. I was still reveling in the high degrees of delight we were experiencing in the state of Florida.

"Oh," I said, "Oh!" to the Husband-of-Mine.  "I wish we could walk the bridge right now. There's that walking lane, you know. And,
look how fantastic the night!"

But then I sighed.  The bridge was kind of a long one.  The car was parked a few blocks away in the other direction.  It wasn't going to work.

"Well," said HM.  "You could go.  I could pick you up on the other side."

Now, Reader Dear, it's not like me to ponder my actions so briefly*. 

However, "Great!" I said to HM.  
"Pick me up on the other side!  I'll see you there!"
And, just like that, I was off at a brisk pace toward the bridge.
The night was inspiring!
It felt good to walk briskly! 
The moon was reflecting on the water so brightly!

I watched the cars passing by as I walked.  I was sure I would notice HM, but I did not know how long it would take for him to fetch the car.  

Come to think of it, nor did I know how long it was going to take me to transverse this bridge!   Was it a half-mile long?  A mile?  Never while driving the bridge had I pondered its length.
   
Don't worry about it! I said to myself, and continued to walk at my arm-swinging best.

But, it wasn't long until another  unpleasant thought arrived: Yikes, the battery in my phone has died; the  HM doesn't know it. Suppose this bridge gets too long for me?

Calm down, I thought. There's not a lot of traffic; maybe he could slow down enough for me to hop into the car.  

Er, I'd have to be sure I saw him and flagged him!  He'd have to see me and stop!  In spite of the lights, this bridge is pretty dark.  There are NO other walkers.  If I collapsed on this walkway, no one would see me!

Oh, for heaven's sake, get over it, you worry-wort! I said it out loud to myself.  (Because, well, there was no one else who could hear [or benefit right now, despite the great wisdom]).

I kept on walking and was still enjoying the walk, but I watched the cars intently.  After quite a while I could see that the end of the bridge was in sight.  All would be well.  

Except, hmm...
where was the HM?!  Surely by now he'd have made it to the car and crossed the bridge!  I must have missed him. 

to be continued...

***************
*(Did Catalina inspire me, Dear Reader?)
Oh, wait; give that idea no further thought!  


No comments: