Sunday, August 1, 2010

GALLIMAUFRY II

FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD. That's the real title. And, the subtitle: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (a big one) TO JUDY (my friend), who was born a long, long, looong time ago on this very day! (Yet amazingly, every time I check, remains younger than myself). The celebratory lunch we had together was two days ago and featured an impressive platter of sweet potato fries (a big one), which must now be the feature of this photograph, since Judy (my friend) gave me clear and explicit instructions not to make her the feature. Alas.










And speaking of food. And of friends. And of Kobe beef...oops, hadn't mentioned that before, but here at this elegant restaurant, where my chauffeur and my LTF shared a most delightful meal with me last weekend, the waiter described it in glowing terms: The happy cows, bathed and massaged and left to frolic in sunny meadows, now available to grace our dinner plates! (Gulp. I ordered the crabcakes.)




My yard man and I had a conversation concerning the benefits of seeded versus unseeded watermelon. It was a lengthy and uninformed discussion. He extolled the virtues of unseeded (it's so much easier to eat; it's just as nutritious as the seeded kind), and I was of the opinion that the seeded variety, considering the fact that it's still got all its God-given attributes, must certainly contain more nutrition and is the better choice. (Also, with its seeds, it's a first-runner-up to the beet.)

We did come to an agreement: polka-dotted or not, it's still a most glorious food of summer!





And speaking of seeds: amazing how one little sprout that grew in my daughter's garden last summer is now taking pleasure in this year's crops!



...

No comments: