Tuesday, September 22, 2009

...

SCENARIO ONE: TO CELEBRATE THE OPENING day of Autumn, I decided to cook up a dish that would be a fabulous fall color. Carefully contemplating my options, I settled on Carrot Soup and ran out to the supermarket to purchase the main ingredient.

Scenario Two: After an appointment with the cardiologist this morning, I trotted over to Costco to fetch the new stash of green and yellow capsules he convinced me would be of more benefit than my current tiny white pills. Inside the store, I waited as the pharmacist was super-meticulous with my Rx (yes, that's my rationale when the time required leads me to envision a druggist wiping the sweat from his brow as he grinds up the compounds with his mortar and pestle).

Trekking through the produce department, I was killing time.
Ooops, no! I wasn't killing it. (It was the rooster I wished to do away with, remember?) No, I think I was saving time when I spotted a great mound of carrots. Ah, they were organic! And carrots, you know, they're the Miss Congenialities of the vegetable world, getting along so well with others.




Into my cart went a whopping
ten pounds of carrots. Of course, when I got home, I had to think up some way to use this harvest and I thought, Why not Carrot Soup? So I set to peeling and chopping. And peeling and chopping. And peeling and chopping. Arrgh, I'd barely made a dent in the bag and they didn't seem so congenial anymore (I can't blame them. I was the one who'd lost my affability).

So Scenario One or Scenario Two.
Take your best guess. Either way, I ended up with Carrot Soup today.
Lots of carrots went into the soup. But lots and lots more are smiling away in the bottom drawer of my refrigerator, wishing me a happy autumn, I'm sure.

And that's just exactly what I'm wishing you, Dear Reader. Have a Happy Autumn!



...

No comments: