Monday, November 10, 2008

...

SO, DEAR READER, ARE YOU knowledgeable regarding the world's tallest structures?
Do I have to tell you that the clue in yesterday's photo is "Canada's Wonder of the World"?
That until last September it was the tallest building on earth?
That it is 1,815 feet high?
That it's located in Toronto?
That that's where I spent this past weekend?
Okay, well now you know.

I traveled with loved ones and went to visit loved ones of the loved ones...or I could say it like this:
I'm in the car with my husband, my daughter and her husband and we go to spend time with
the parents of the son-in-law (is that just one degree of separation or two?) Whatever, John and June are our friends now, and they are eager to take us to the Royal Winter Fair.

On our way, John can't resist giving us a speeded-up tour of the historic district. Hence, we get to see this gorgeous old building that is the world's oldest distillery.


We get to pop into one of the many small shops and galleries (through that door between the trees), but we can only glance at the works of art...no time to linger. "Next time! Next time!" our hosts say, as we hurry to the fair.



And here we are at the big modern building where it's held. Quick, can you name that exceedingly tall structure in the background? (Please don't tell me you weren't paying attention!)



You'd never guess it from looking at the building where it's housed, but this fair is what we call a farm show in the country I come from!



I'm happily surprised that it's cleaner and classier than any farm show I've ever attended previously, although I've only got one shot to prove it. It does look rather royal, doesn't it?!



In addition, I'm delighted to discover there are plenty of other interesting things to see besides animals...enough to spend the whole afternoon perusing the aisles--handcrafted items, imported-fair-trade items...clothing, jewelry, foods... even antiques.

By the time we leave the Royal Winter Fair, the city is lit up. The setting sun paints the sky.




But wait, our hosts are not finished impressing us with Toronto's offerings!
We move along to a dinner club, where we have an excellent meal and then are treated to a musical performance. It is:


I can't fault you if you don't know of Stan Rogers...I myself hadn't a clue who he was before this evening. And now, well I'm just enthralled by his music. It's so Canadian, meaning many of the songs tell stories of Canadian history. It's of the folk genre (a favorite of mine).

Here are a few more things I learned about Stan...he was born in that great year of 1949. He died in a plane crash in 1983. He left a widow and a son (both of whom performed with this tribute group).

And...you get to listen to a little snippet of the evening's final encore...Northwest Passage, though I (painfully) clipped off the final words.



Ah, for just one time I would take the Northwest Passage
To find the hand of Franklin reaching for the Beaufort Sea
Tracing one warm line through a land so wide and savage
And make a northwest passage to the sea.
Straight from the internet: "Northwest Passage is one of the best-known songs by Canadian musician Stan Rogers." If you're interested, you can watch a U-tube clip of Stan himself singing another song we heard--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT-aEcPgkuA


Alright, enough about Stan. I took the Southeast Passage home to Pennsylvania yesterday and carried with me fond memories of the entire Toronto expedition!

...

No comments: