Sunday, April 30, 2017

One Small Clue

That's all I've got, Reader Dear, to indicate where I might have slipped off to during my vacation from real life!  To set the stage, the doctors had determined the resuscitation procedure had damaged another artery in my heart.  I languished on life support for six days while they waited for me to recover enough to perform a second surgery on me, and now I was starting the comeback process for a second time.  I was at the point where I was squeezing hands and nodding and tentatively stepping back into reality. 

And now I had something I wanted to make known to The Yard Man and Only Son (the two who were in attendance at the time, and standing by my bed). I tried to voice the words, but what was this?!  I couldn't make a sound!  Again and again I tried to speak.  I was not cognizant enough to know that I had a tracheotomy tube down my throat.  No words came forth.  Desperately, I tried and tried, but, oh...they couldn't read my lips!  Finally, I resorted to charades.

Dear Reader, how would one act out the word "holy"?  I was in a predicament! I folded my hands together, mouthing holy, holy, holy.
"Pray for you?!" Only Son asked animatedly, sure that he'd hit on what I was attempting to say.
Alas, no.  I shook my head. I certainly wasn't averse to prayers, but it wasn't what I wished to convey.

It was then that someone had the idea to bring me paper and a pen.  Of course!  I would write out my words!

Alas, however...it was easier imagined than accomplished!  I was astounded at my inability to write words.  My hand was so weak and shaky; I could barely move it across the page.
Viewer Dear, it is with some chagrin that I show you this chicken-scratching.  The upper line in the photo above is my attempt to spell out three words.  "Holy" is the first word (H-o-l-y, the letters all written on top of one another).

Naturally, the two men standing by my bed could not glean a shred of meaning from these messy scribbles. (Unless you've become privy to the information already, neither will you, Dear Viewer!
Though you're welcome to take your best guess!)

I tried again.
(back later, Dear Reader, with slightly more readable script)

3 comments:

LTF said...

Holy Cow!! .....????

KTdid said...

ROFL, LTF! (I have to shake my head no) Q.

Terry said...

Wow. You have been through so much. I am so glad you are recovering and able to use a keyboard.