Thursday, October 25, 2012

......
THURSDAY'S GALLIMAUFRY:

I MADE a trip to the thrift shop today, to donate a bagful of un-necessities.
As I was leaving, I saw a group of youngsters hanging out.  Two of them were animatedly doing "Rock, Paper, Scissors."  Wow, I thought, who needs expensive, cumbersome, complicated, ridiculous, drawn-out, tiresome, presidential campaigns filled with rhetoric and binders full of women?!  Just let the two candidates duke it out with a few rounds of "Rock, Paper, Scissors"!



 ......
 Ever since I let my Yard Man know that any red peppers he would bestow upon me from his garden would be highly appreciated, I've been finding gifts on the porch! 

The first time this happened, I was ecstatic.
The second time, I danced around for joy.
The third time, and the fourth, and the fifth--I chortled to myself over the crimson wealth.


I was eating the peppers whole, as one might eat an apple.  And stir-frying them.  And roasting.  And loading them, sliced, onto salads.

By the sixth time he left me an unannounced helping of red veggies, I wasn't quite as dazzled.
But I still found it hard to share. I chopped some  up to add to the frozen bagfuls that have slept in the freezer since last year.

It wasn't until the seventh or eighth time I found peppers on the porch that I started re-gifting.
Today the yard man brought me six more red peppers.  "This is it!" he said.  "There will be no more."

What?! Over so soon?!  The season was short, (red) and sweet!
......
Dear Reader, there's another season that I thought would be ended by now--the Season of the Road Crew!  The roads near my house have been sporting flagmen and machinery since early spring.  Many, many are my chances to watch workers in action (or earnestly idling, as the case may be). 


Tonight, impressively, they were working late!
(I think it's a sign of the end times)
......

1 comment:

sk said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous.