Tuesday, April 20, 2010

...


I'M STILL THERE, HAVING A CAPITAL time in the capital city!
(Or let's just pretend that I am, Dear Reader. If I have to say that I'm THERE, then perhaps I am not. It's likely I've instead been back HERE [where I usually hang out] for a couple of days already; but who's going to quibble?)

We have time for one more sightseeing something-or-other, Tina and I, and then we will search for dinner. We wait for the Metro (delayed due to hitting a passenger-gasp) and finally arrive at the Post Office Museum. Then we re-think our plan. Hmm...maybe we should eat something now, before we peruse the museum. Breakfast was eons ago.

So we go next door--we're supposed to find international food there; but we trot from one end to the other and, alas, all-American chain food abounds. Outside we go, and propose to eat the apples we have carried with us for hours. First, however, we must enter the museum (where the sign reads NO FOOD ALLOWED), go through the security check, and all the way down to the restroom--to wash my apple.
"Ah, you're a germaphobe!
" says Tina.
"Well, look,"
I say, "I've been fingering it in my pocket all day--opening all those doors, putting my hands on the apple......okay, you're right--I'm a germaphobe."



Not much later a guard catches us with our half-consumed (fully scrubbed) apples, sends us back outside, where we eat in the pleasant sunshine.








Stamps are a big attraction in the P.O. Museum, though all the other displays keep us interested, too.

















And...(Oh, before I forget--just in case you should ever find it helpful--Heligoland's stamps are okay, but Upper Volta's are much more attractive. Huh? You want to know where the heck is Heligoland? Don't be silly--it's where they speak Heligolandic, of course!)

...we're off to get dinner



and catch the homeward-bound bus.


...

No comments: