Monday, October 19, 2009

...


YESTERDAY I SERVED VEGETARIAN CHILI to my family. It's because my daughter called me on Saturday to suggest that the family supper we often eat together here on Sunday evenings should be a late lunch instead. And I said, "A late lunch...hmm...what shall I make?" And she said... (Well, I suppose, Dear Reader, you could venture a pretty good guess what she said, considering how I just told you what it was that I served. But I'm going to give you her response, anyway, because for all you know, she said, "Why don't you start with an appetizer of baked ricotta and spinach mini-tarts. And then, probably we won't need a soup, but you could make pomegranate-glazed quail salad with grilled figs to have with the entree, which could be, let's see--I'd suggest herb-crusted lamb chops with black truffles and butternut squash. I hope for dessert you'll make dark chocolate creme brulee with carmelized bananas.")

She said, "Why don't you make vegetarian chili?"

Saturday was a rainy day. And it was late afternoon when my daughter called. As soon as I got off the phone I realized that this perfectly rainy Saturday afternoon indeed put me perfectly in the mood for making some vegetarian chili. But lest you're tempted to assume I made it perfectly according to directions, let me hasten to tell you that for me, recipes are just suggestions.




Which reminds me of a story: Once my father, who was a lifelong resident of the fair state of Virginia, was visiting here and riding along on an errand with his son-in-law (the one who lives with me). This son-in-law has always felt free to be creative with the speed limits (nearly always adjusting them upward), and on this particular occasion he was somewhat exceeding the posted limit. Now my dad, who was quite observant of such things, pointed out to my husband that he'd better watch himself, or he might, you know, get nabbed by a cop. My husband looked at him and responded, "Oh, didn't I ever tell you?--Pennsylvania's speed limits are just suggestions!" Well, my dad was highly amused, and went home and relayed the message to all his friends: My son-in-law in Pennsylvania tells me that the speed limits there are only suggestions! My guess is that he was hoping his friends would be momentarily impressed and amazed, just as he'd been (though he never confessed to it), and then he'd have a good laugh. Okay, that was it. Now you can step back outside of this parenthetical little tale and return with me to the Suggested Ingredients & Instructions for Vegetarian Chili:

Though I see that first I'll be stepping out to the grocery store, seeing as how I don't just happen to have a fresh lemon handy, nor zucchinis, ditto for fresh dill and...oh, all kinds of things. But--aha--the green peppers, I've got plenty of those. When I get home, I'll simply run out to the garden.

(But, alas, did I get to the garden while daylight still reigned? Or did I dally around until it was late and dark outside, putting all the other suggested ingredients into the pot before gritting my teeth, pulling on boots, taking up an umbrella and trudging through the reign of the rain to root around in my husband's truck for a flashlight...then on to the sodden garden to get myself some peppers and, hey, why not fresh basil while I'm here?)

So, finally (I know you've been patiently waiting):


3/4 Cup Olive Oil
2 Zucchinis
2 Onions
4 Cloves of garlic
2 Bell peppers (or substitute carrots)

l--Chop, dice, or otherwise render the above vegetables into multiple small pieces.
2--Heat 1/2 cup of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the zucchini alone for
approx. five minutes and transfer to a larger stovetop cooking pan with their oil.
3--Add remaining 1/4 cup oil and remaining vegetables and saute until just wilted (about 10 min.)
4--Place pan over low heat, and add:

1 Can (35 0z) Italian plum tomatoes with juice
1-1/2 Lbs. Ripe plum tomatoes, diced
2 Tbsp. Chili powder
1 Tbsp. ground Cumin
1 Tbsp. dried Basil
1 Tbsp. dried Oregano
2 tsp. freshly ground Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Fennel Seeds

5--Cook for 30-40 minutes, and add:

1/2 Cup chopped fresh Parsley
1 Can (15 oz) Kidney Beans
1 Can (15 oz) Garbanzo Beans
1/2 Cup chopped fresh Dill
2 Tbsp. fresh Lemon Juice



6--Cook an additional 15-20 minutes and serve in bowls, topped with:

A spoonful of grated Monterey Jack Cheese
A dollop of Sour Cream
A sprinkling of Scallions, sliced on the diagonal

That's it! I've got no more suggestions.
Oh, wait--just this one yet: Eat up!



...

No comments: