Wednesday, October 7, 2009

...

SORRY FOR THAT LONG LONG LAPSE--I was climbing an exceedingly big hill. Just today I arrived here on the other side, and I find myself in a strange new place. Let's just say I'm not in Kansas...err, my fifties...anymore. I've been assigned a brand new number, much bigger than the one before, and over here they've got some different ways of talking: "Do you need some help with that, my dear?" "Do you want the senior discount?" Things like that. It's really (and I add a second really in my teeny tiny voice) disconcerting.

Because of the scariness, distractions were definitely in order for today: First of all, my realtor was planning to take a tour, with his colleagues, of the new convention center that was built downtown. When he said to me, "Why don't you meet us there and see the place?" I spryly* jumped upon the idea.
(*You see, I'm quickly learning the lingo)



This plan turned out to be an excellent one, reaping me not only a round of happy birthday wishes and a great view from the top floor, but a fine and fancy lunch on the ground floor (with aforementioned realtor)...followed, not so surprisingly, by a fine and fancy dessert.




After which I visited the local mall and bought myself some fine and fancy shoes. And moved on to the local library for some fine (they caught my fancy) books.











And yet another interesting distraction awaited: I shared some tickets (with my realtor and additional loved ones) to a fine (albeit not so fancy) evening with Chris Matthews, a personal friend of mine




( I pull your leg, dear reader, though I felt he must have known my loosey-goosey ways when he described them to a tee).


So, all-in-all, this day--what with the slew of cards and phone calls added in--was fine (I fancy now you hold your breath, dear reader, stifling a scream. I dare not use it one more time--that f-- and f-- expression. So I'll just simply say: it was a plain old happy day.)



Although, (it must be said) I fear I'm going to have a long adjustment
to this odd and downhill-sloping place.
...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is Chris Mathews?

KTdid said...

Anon, he's a political news commentator (the host of Hardball and The Chris Matthews Show). He's had all kinds of political jobs, written books...goggle him! (and he's personable, as well)

goodbadi said...

(Before I saw the comments I had to Google--although I prefer your "goggle"--Chris Matthews, too.) Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

M'dear. Just because YOU goggle Chris Matthews doesn't mean other people should. Also, you weren't entitled to any of those shoes. You were supposed to be 55 or under. But otherwise, as far as I'm able to determine here, you are still a spry young squirt intellectually. Belated greetings and heaps of love from me.

sk

KTdid said...

goodi-- (you're mostly good, right?) Haven't you heard of the new search engine "goggle"? it's...uhm...it's where you look up someone when you see others goggling around them. yeah, that's it.

sk-- 55% off should have been for 55 and over...but no, they just let all the youngsters get the discount, too! Thanks for the wishes, and especially for the heaps!