Sunday, August 3, 2008

THERE ARE A FEW THINGS from my growing-up years that I will always miss, and one of them is the river. The Warwick River flows by the house in which I lived, and another five miles away it empties into the James. From my bedroom window at night, I could see the lights of the James River Bridge, which, when it was built in 1927, was the longest bridge over water in the world. It's four and a half miles long. Here's the view from an old postcard.

I loved seeing the twinkling lights of the bridge in the distance, but what I miss the most is the ebb and flow and beauty of the Warwick River as it flowed past my childhood home. Today being the most perfect of summertime days...blue sky, white puffy clouds, clear sun and balmy breeze...I had to think of the river, because it always reflects the elements of sun and sky. The many photos I have of the river are exceeded only by my many memories, which will have to wait for a later post.


...

No comments: