Friday, August 1, 2008

...

HERE IT IS, THE FIRST DAY of August, and you don't see anyone dancing around a pole. I'm not trying to make a fool of you, either. The only person I know of who is having a big celebration today is my friend Judy who was born on this day. If none of this makes any sense to you, consider that January 1 and April 1 and May 1 all have something in common. They are all first days of the month that have something extra to give them distinction.

I think it would be nice for every "first day" to hold title to some odd or pleasant or celebratory past-time. I'm giving some thought to what it might be. Perhaps August 1 could be Dress Like the Opposite Gender Day. Whoops, an out-dated idea! Or Walk Backwards Day. How about Talk Pig Latin Day. President Bush could stand to address the nation and say "ee-say? I an-kay eak-spay an oreign-fay anguage-lay!"

Those suggestions might all come under the category of "odd," but there would be a plethora of pleasant or celebratory things that could be assigned as well. Give it some thought, Dear Reader.


...

No comments: