Tuesday, September 24, 2019

It's a Toss-up

It was Day Two.
I was settled in for the duration.
My plan was to spend the day in bed, rumpled sheets beneath me, tissue box beside me, cough drop packet nearby, laptop atop my lap.

But, first, of course, I needed fortifications.
I shuffled downstairs and made myself a cup of coffee.
I tore a banana off the bunch.

I carried the coffee, the banana, the phone charger and a back-up box of tissues laboriously upstairs.
I settled in.
I was so proud of myself.

Ahem.  Pride, they say, goeth before a spill.*

Coffee, they say (though perhaps it's not a widespread bit of wisdom) will splash out of a lidded mug if one's trying to handle the removal of the lid while sneezing.  To put it simply, Reader Dear, I spilled coffee directly onto the keyboard of my laptop.  Quickly, I thrust the box of tissues and the half-peeled banana and the phone aside set down the mug hurried to shake the laptop over the bathroom sink.  I shook it and shook it.  I wiped it clean.

No harm done! I told myself, out loud and emphatically.

I spent the rest of the day staring out the window and sneezing
I read a book.
I tried to pretend I was living in the 1800's.

Day Three was quite similar.

Day Four I cautiously had lunch with HM and friends.

Day Five I rose early.  I carried my pitiful laptop to the Apple Store at the local mall.

In (what could have been a lovely coincidence, had I wished to buy the latest model of Apple Iphone) the store had just opened for business with the latest model of Apple Iphone to sell.  Simply put, the store was mobbed!

*****
Inching.
Inching.



******

Reader Dear, I've tossed that cold!  I'm well again.  Alas, I had to toss the laptop as well.  I threw away the cough drop packet, gathered every last used tissue from dresser top and bed and floor and threw them away, tidied up the pile of magazines and books, carried the empty mug(s) downstairs, washed the sheets, spent one-half of a day at the Apple Store, carried home a brand-new laptop, spent the equivalent of half a day trying desperately to figure out how to make the brand new laptop  behave at least as well as the coffee-besmirched one had done before I had to toss it.

******

 I'm inching along, trying to catch up.

******
Spill: rough synonym for "fall"



No comments: