Friday, August 2, 2019

ON THE ROAD AGAIN!

Just can't wait to get on the road again!!

I'll admit it, Willie sings the song so much  better than I do, Reader Dear, but not with more feeling!


I didn't rush to the mailbox today.  The first time I had called PennDOT,  more than a week ago, a guy named Kelvin had verified that the papers the doctor signed on my behalf had been received.    Reader Dear, I smiled and started singing Willie's song!


The neurologist's appointment I'd kept the day before had been strategically planned months ago to give me just the right amount of time to get the papers signed and get them to PennDOT by July 28, exactly six months post-seizure.  

"But, we cannot accept these papers," Kelvin was now saying.  "They will have to be signed again AFTER July 30!"

The tune in my head sputtered to a stop immediately.  "My seizure was on January 28!" I cried (Reader Dear, I tried not to roar).   "That was six months ago!  Are you telling me that I must now wait a week and go back to the doctor,  fax the papers again?!  And then, how long do I wait for the letter of verification?!"

"Sorry," Kelvin said.  "Yes."
"Three to four weeks for the paperwork to go through."


************
 Plans were made to return to the doctor's office.
Did I dare go on July 30?
(I would not push my luck, I decided.  I would wait until July 31).
 ************

On the last day of July, just before I called for an Uber ride to the good doctor's office, I thought I'd call PennDot again.

Lo and Behold!    A robot informed me that the current status of my drivers license was "VALID".   Dear One, there was no way I could trust it!  I called PennDOT and pressed "5" for a live person.

"What is your name?" I asked when a real person answered.

"Kelvin," he answered.

When I demanded of Kelvin that he give me an explanation, he said,
"Seems the paperwork did go through.  Your license is now valid.  But you are not legal to drive until your license is returned."

"I can't believe you, Kelvin!" I said.  "You know you gave me a different story last week, and put me into a real funk!  Now I'm going to call you and talk to you every day until you prove yourself to be trustworthy!" (Here I must admit that I laughed, Reader Dear.  It was no joking matter, of course, but I hoped for Kelvin to get his facts straight in the future and humor is a great learning device [I just made that up*]).




So, expectations being what they were, I waited until after supper this evening and then strolled to the mailbox.  No need to take another roller coaster ride!  I supposed that even when I got the letter from PennDOT weeks from now, I would need to make a return trip to the PennDOT office.

*********
And then, Reader Dear, I made a miraculous discovery!

I tore open the letter from PennDOT.

My actual license was enclosed!

My heart did a loop-de-loop!
(Not to be confused with other heart activities!)

I grabbed my car keys!

"I'll be back later!" I yelled to the HM.

I headed for the highway!

Where shall I go?! I thought to myself.  "California?!"

"


















* I just made up the part about humor being an enhancement to learning.
Sure sounds good, however.  I stand by the statement.
(If I try standing on my head by the statement, perhaps you'll remember?)



No comments: