Tuesday, August 27, 2019

This Caterpillar was Discovered

strolling along the pavement in the small town of Mt. Gretna, Pennsylvania, yesterday.
If you believe he is yours, Viewer Dear, you may look for him near the house with the tea set displayed on a bench (Please know, however,  that he was moving right along.  There's no telling where you might find him).


He seemed attracted to this Golden Shrimp Plant blossom that was posing nearby. (Though the blossom truly was charming, I'm  wondering if poor Mr. Caterpillar was aware that Ms. Blossom could never go strolling with him).

At any rate, Dear Viewer, let me know if you can give me the identity of your (strikingly handsome) caterpillar.


****

Now, to tell you what brought me to the small town of Mt. Gretna, Pennsylvania, yesterday.

1. It's the state where I currently live.

2.  It's a mere thirty-five minute drive from where I currently am residing.

3.  It's about a five-minute drive from the home of a  friend of mine.

4.  This friend and two other friends of mine had planned to meet at the home of the friend mentioned in No. 3 to have an outing here at Mt. Gretna (a birthday luncheon in honor of the fact that each of us was born).


5.  I suppose another factor (in the planning of this outing)  is that Mt. Gretna is a lovely spot to stroll around and have a celebratory lunch.*

*It's on the National Register of Historic Places, after all!
*It's a chautauqua town. (Dear Reader, this, of course, brings me to all kinds of other interesting tidbits concerning chautauquas, but I'll just leave it at this:  the word chautauqua  [noun or verb] describes a system of education flourishing in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, originating at Lake Chautauqua, New York.  The words Tranquil, Spirirtual, and Cultural are clues to [and descriptive of] this system).

This is NOT Mt. Gretna.  It's merely a town I was passing
through En Route
(lovely in it's own way, I'm sure, but
not close to the real thing).






















6. It was a superior day, weather-wise (which made for a superior drive to the home of the friend)!



The whole outing, in fact, turned out to be superior!




In the short interaction my three friends and I had with Mr. Caterpillar, he seemed to have a similar sentiment about the day (though he was [understandably] limited in his expression of it). 

1 comment:

sk said...

P is stumped. He searched his field guide. Maybe a Wavy-Lined Heterocampa (Heterocampa biundata)--the colors are reversed.