Saturday, November 11, 2017

Autumn Morning Sunshine

is good for the soul, even if it's falling on the dead and dying.

That would be my opinion, Reader Dear.

And I also have this to say: "Aw, nuts!"

Now, you may believe that I'm feeling disappointed  or disgusted about something.  However, obviously you're not hearing the intonation of my voice.











To shed light on the matter, Viewer Dear,take a look at what I harvested a few days ago!


Pecans!*
*In their beautiful, natural packaging!

In full disclosure, Dear Reader, I must tell you these nuts were harvested from a big box that showed up outside my front door.  The postman delivered).  And I've got to tell you, these pecans aren't just any old nuts, which is why I said, "Aw, nuts!" with excitement and eagerness in my voice.  These nuts are especially pleasing to me because we share a common heritage (please, no jokes regarding nuttiness!)  Grown, gathered, and shipped by the wife of a cousin of mine, the pecan trees are direct descendants of certain trees that were planted by one of my great-grandfathers in southern Virginia. 
I chortled as I opened the package of pecans, and immediately cracked one open and tried it!

I've got a hand-made wooden mallet fashioned for me by that twin brother of mine.   It worked well, and when I cracked open a pecan, carefully lifted out the meat, popped it into my mouth and ate it, I thought, "I'll have another."


"One more."

"Okay, just one more."

"Mmmm, these are good!  I'll have just one more." 

"Well, one more." 
"I might as well make it an even dozen."

"Okay, one more!"

Perhaps you will be relieved to know, Dear Reader,  that I eventually decided it would be prudent of me not to eat a whole ten pounds of nuts at one sitting! I exercised some will-power, and  am saving a lot of the nutty southern goodness for other days!
......................

And now, before I end this post, I have one more thing to say with feeling:

"Nuts to you, Reader Dear!!"**

.......................
** Tasty southern pecans, may you be so fortunate!***

***(And, yes, yes, of course...I wish you lots of Autumn sunshine, too!)

6 comments:

LTF said...

I love the wooden mallet!! James made me a remarkable, big, serious oak rolling pin many long years ago. It is one of my treasures!! Hmmm, might be good for nut cracking as well!!

Jut said...

Are there any left?

KTdid said...

LTF, I'm sure the wooden rolling pin would make a terrific nutcracker! Did you get any "family" pecans? Q.

KTdid said...

Jut, yes. I'm picturing a nutty Thanksgiving Day in your future (and those other with the family tree DNA (so to speak) :-). Q.

Pat Hertzler said...

What a nice post...maybe I am just partial but that is ok. I am so glad you are enjoying the pa'cans or pee-cans' however you choose to say it. I can hardly stop eating them also.

KTdid said...

Thank you, Pat (for the comment, and also for sending the nuts)! Some might like to get the pecans already shelled, but I get a kick out of opening each individual little "package" Don't know if any of mine are going to make it to the freezer. Q.