Saturday, November 4, 2017

An extra hour!

Now that we have reached the end of Daylight Savings Time here on the east coast of the USA, we all get to spend that hour we stuck into savings last March!  I was contemplating, Reader Dear, exactly how I'm going to use those sixty extra minutes.

So I asked myself, What activity did I give up during the hour last spring when we were instructed to set our clocks ahead?  With a start, I realized it would have been one of the most wretched hours of my life (that one I jumped over at 2:00 a.m. on March 12, 2017!I gave up an hour of lying miserably on a quasi-air-filled hospital mattress, too weak to move my body into any new position, coughing with a throat housing a too-large tracheostomy tube and already painful and raw from such activity,  unable to speak (to night nurses), unable to get out of bed, unable to entertain or distract myself in any way, and--worst of all--unable to sleep!  That nighttime hour that went into  the vault would have been just one more ghastly, seemingly endless hour! 


But, Hallelujah!  Thank merciful heavens, Reader Dear, that  I don't have to redeem that hour in kind!
When I wake during the night (perhaps to the sound of the Yard Man softly snoring) and sink into my warm and comfortable bed, stretch and roll over,  shift my body into a relaxed and satisfactory sleeping position, listen to the sounds of a gentle rain (or possibly view through the window a majestically full moon in the sky) I'm going to sing the praises* of the fabulously good deal I got on this extra hour!**

*I'm speaking figuratively here,
but only because I don't wish to wake
the Yard Man.
**I'm going to spend it peacefully sleeping! 
...................................................




4 comments:

LTF said...

It kind of reminds me of how we get a whole extra day every four years!! What??!!!!For me??!! Oh dear, what can I do to show that I deserve it and appreciate it?? Actually, I think that every morning. I am still working on the answer.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you're still here to enjoy time, more hours, soft bed, delightful company, sweet grandsons, and more!

KTdid said...

LTF, I hadn't even thought of leap year! I guess it's good we've got another two years to think about that "extra" day and how to spend it! (I esp. like your last comment;I think that now ALL my days are "extra" and I need to figure out how to best utilize and appreciate
!:-)

KTdid said...

Thanks, Anony!