Sunday, March 22, 2009

...


THERE'S NOT MUCH noodling around in my head that I can envision sparking anyone's attention. However, since I don't wish to let every last one of you, my dear handful of readers--my handful of dear readers--despair of ever finding a new post and drift away to a place of no return (I can hear the disgusted little exhalation of breath and the murmuring--huh, she's fizzled out on this blog, plumb procrastinated past the point of potential on-goingness,) I'm going to offer up this rather unlikely scenario that I spotted at the grocery store a few days ago.

I've never seen this sight before. There's a good possibility I'll never see this sight again. And just as likely a chance that you'll never happen upon such a scene yourself: A man, with four sons in attendance, perusing the aisles of the grocery store, intently studying the boxes, jars and cans of food for sale, every so often somewhat tentatively gathering an item off the shelves and passing it to one small son or another to carry in his arms.

Now you may agree that such a scenario sounds like a rare occurrence, but add this to the mix if you will: They are all dressed exactly alike (with just one small exception) from the tops of their heads to the bottoms of their toes!

Before you shake your head and convince yourself that I am scraping around inside an empty barrel, making up tales in my zeal to attract your interest, I've got to show you my proof--the oh-so-surreptitiously taken photos. The nervous fingering of my camera, quickly fished from my overcrowded purse and held at the ready behind the head of lettuce in my cart, would have produced much more striking photos of the boys as they trailed their father in stairstep array down the aisles of the store (and I, in turn, trailing them) were it not for my fear of being seen as a paparazzo. I let too many ideal opportunities pass me by in my hesitancy, but finally opted to snap a shot as they waited in line at the checkout.


Aha... you see...I live in Amish country!
(Quite obvious in light of the fact that the local grocery store has a horse tie-up shed at the edge of the parking lot.)


And then, with my carton of ice cream slowly melting, I sat in my car and awaited the chance to show you the quintet of males as they're ready to load up their buggy and deliver the fixin's home to mom.


...
ps--click to enlarge for a better straw-hat view.

No comments: