Monday, March 9, 2009

...



NOW WE HAVE CHANGED the clocks, we have sprung forward, and apparently that bouncy step has catapulted us right into springtime. If this weather had a face, it'd be grinning from ear to ear!

I tried to figure out precisely which of those puffy whites was Cloud Nine as I headed for the pottery studio where I am learning to throw pots and make other earthenware constructions. Or maybe you could say I am re-learning--six years ago I took the same two-month class, and have an array of amateurish pieces to show for it.


At the time, I had to ask myself exactly what I intended to do with all the items I was painstakingly bringing into being. A few of them I could put to use, but the majority were headed for some sort of limbo--not worthy of crowding out everything else on my shelves and cupboard-tops and too clumsily made for gift-giving--but certainly not bound for the trash heap (gasp...my creations, after all!)





However, here's the thing...when the lump of clay is well-behaved on the wheel, and one's very own hands coax it into a comely shape (rather than aiding it's unsightly collapse), it can make a potter feel so marvelous she's propelled well nigh onto that Cloud Nine, wherever in the sky it happens to float.


So I step once again into the studio...ready to aim for that high.

Recurring reports are sure to follow.



..

1 comment:

June said...

Nice work Kathy! I am jealous.