Saturday, December 27, 2008

...

YOU HEARD IT HERE first! Or rather, I heard it here...as in right here where I live...right now.
A sound of nature I've never heard before in my whole entire life! How often can a person make that assertion?

All was quiet and here I sat at the computer, thinking about the fact that I should not be sitting at the computer, I should be sleeping. The minutes were ticking past midnight and there was no place I should be but dreamland. And then without warning there came a boom that rattled the windows and shook the floors. It wasn't an ordinary boom, as in thunder or as in something exploding nearby. No...this boom was monstrous! And it rumbled and rattled on and on, which pretty much ruled out a plane crashing from the sky... just one of the ideas that scampered through my head. Yes, amazing how fast one's brain can catalog possibilities in the course of about twenty seconds.

Quietness returned and I heard not a single siren... a distinctly good sign.

So I sat and contemplated what I'd just experienced and there seemed to be only one explanation for this monumental noise...the earth must have shrugged!

Checking the local TV station, Jay Leno was airing as usual...no interruptions of the late-breaking kind. It was only just now, nearly an hour later, that the trailer appeared at the bottom of the TV screen to give me the late-shaking 3.3 verification: Indeed, I survived my first earthquake!

It was exciting, awe-inspiring and fascinating...what a shame had I been sleeping!

...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you also survived an earthquake in PA back in 1979, I believe. I was working at that time and I remember being in the medical department with our company nurse when it sounded as if something that weighed a ton, was dropped, overhead. It was just a momentary thing that left us stunned and later we found out there was an earthquake but I don't know what it measured on the 'scale'....So, see, you survived two earthquakes, so far!

KTdid said...

I think I may have missed that one...don't know the year but I came back from Virginia to discover, disappointingly, that an earthquake had occurred in my absence (it was near Easter).

Jennifer Jo said...

The earth "shrugged"---perfect!

I was sleeping and didn't feel it, thank goodness. I HATE earthquakes. The earth is NOT supposed to move!

Wasn't that earthquake in '79 on Good Friday? We were at church, seeing the church play, and right in the part of the play where there was the earthquake/rending of the curtain, there was a real, live earthquake. Right?

-JJ

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mama JJ, you should explain your abhorrence.

sk

KTdid said...

...I suppose my outlook sounds a bit cavalier. I have a healthy awe of earthquakes, but realize that with actual experience of the "death-toll" variety, I would likely be shuddering and shaking (no pun intended!) rather than exclaiming!
kbs