Wednesday, May 13, 2009

...

I WANT TO WAX POETIC. I want to slip on the wax and fall into the tea and oranges that come all the way from China, and say hallelujah and was there ever a musician more graceful and gracious and gifted than Leonard Cohen. Ah, the man must have read my sentiments and determined to give a concert in my proximity, supposing that this woman would invest a sizeable sum and would bring her family and a friend and fellow fan and travel through rush-hour traffic for two hours and sit in her seat at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia and think she had died and become the landlord at his tower of song.


And thus did he, last night (give the concert, that is, though he certainly knew nothing of my forty-two-year love affair with his poetic music), and thus did I .



And I thought how happily, were I the landlord, I would write up a lifetime lease.




Everybody knows (I'm sure it shows) for me this far excelled a box of chocolates and a rose.




Right to the very last notes of the benedictory farewell, the man made me feel as though without a doubt I'd fallen on the side of luck.

...
*ltf

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm so happy for you!"
-Squirrely

Daniel said...

In my secret life I didn't dream it'd be so good.
Everybody knows I'd go again if I could.
We can take this waltz all the way to Boston,
And the bird on the wire will be caught again.
But hey, that's no way to ... act,
To spend another fortune would surely get us smacked.
Instead, ring the bells that still can ring.
In the tower loud his songs we'll sing.
When democracy comes to the USA, then
We'll vote for another concert by L. Cohen.
It's closing time, good night my fellow fan.
By Sunday we'll have missed Manhattan.
'Cause there ain't no cure for love of the guy.
So hey, that's just how I'll say goodbye.

KTdid said...

I was waiting for that masterpiece, good fellow fan!
Now I've got my hat off to you,
holding it to my chest and
bowing.



(It's just that a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door
She cried to me, "Hey, why not ask for more?"
When you said "by Sunday we'll have missed Manhattan" it struck me to the core)

And maybe we had miles to drive,
And promises to keep:
We'd ditch it all to stay alive,
and another concert reap

But I guess you're right--it's closing time
Next time the fiddler fiddles so sublime
And Leonard sings his heavenly rhyme
Alas,
We won't be there to hear it.

(Everybody knows the deal is rotten, but he'll never be forgotten...everybody knows)

May 15, 2009 11:29 AM

Anonymous said...

Wow!! The concert looks and sounds awesome!! I will admit, though, that I like his lonely tortured music better when it is just him and a guitar. That's one thing I really liked about the albums was the accompanying music. LTF