Friday, February 13, 2015

THERE WAS THE

Evening of Cheese.  One afternoon earlier this week, The Yard Man called me from the food co-op where he works and told me about this event. "I don't know exactly what it will be like; it might be weird.*  But it's all about cheese, so I think it will be good."  

"Let's go," I said. "Should we stop for supper somewhere first?" I asked.
"Yeah, we probably should," he said. "Come pick me up here.  We'll get something to eat on our way over there."

But, as it turned out, Dear Reader, we didn't have time to stop for a non-dairy meal.  We went straight to the Evening of Cheese.
There we discovered twenty or so vendors, all giving generous samples of their dairy products, predominantly cheeses.  They came from various East Coast states, with a few local cheese-makers represented.  For a ten-dollar ticket, one could sample to one's heart's delight...hard cheeses, soft cheeses.  Fancy cheeses, plain cheeses.  Sweet cheeses, savory cheeses.  

The vendors were enthused about their wares and eager to discuss their various cheese-making techniques.  Since this Evening of Cheese was the culmination of a two-day conference for cheese makers, many of the cheese samplers were cheese makers themselves.




  In addition to all the cheese, there was yogurt, platters of fresh fruit, bread, jams (even hot drinks and doughnuts on a side table!)


As we drove away, an hour and a half later, sated with the evening's offerings, I exclaimed to The Yard Man, "It's been a while since we've been to anything so cheesy, but what a fine supper!"

......
*Epilogue:  It was kind of weird, Reader Dear: I'm not such a big connoisseur of cheese, ordinarily eat it sparingly.  Here, you'd have thought I was a mouse in Cheese Heaven, the way I ooh-ed and aah-ed and scampered around those cheese-laden tables!




1 comment:

sk said...

Huh, some of them there people shore like their cheese.