Tuesday, September 9, 2008


......



I'VE NEVER BEEN much of an animal-lover, but ever since my Dark-haired Daughter left for college four years ago, I've been the sole caretaker of her cat, and I've become quite fond of her (I'm talking about the cat here. I've always been quite fond of my daughter, always). It's that Sassy's so old, and she so appreciates me. She lives outside, sleeps under the front porch, but spends her days as Queen of the Kitchen Porch. That's where she eats from the ceramic dishes I bought for her (she is a dignified cat, Reader Dear. I felt she deserved better than plastic.)


Every morning without fail she is intently watching the window in the kitchen door, longing to see me. Now, the time of day when I remember she is out there waiting for food can vary by many hours. Usually it is in the morning. Often it is when I'm on my way out the door on some other business and I must set down my load of accessories (er, you know, purse, keys, lots of etc) and go for the cat food.   I can't bear to leave her hungry.

The amazing thing is that she is always looking up at me when I glance out the kitchen window, no matter the time of day. Until she is fed, I am the most important person in the world to her. Who can resist such adoration?!  After she is fed, she still loves and appreciates me.
 She's just too dignified to show it.




......

No comments: