Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Qathy's Qole Slaw


The other day I spotted a recipe for Cole Slaw that sounded delicious.  I'm so fond of this cabbage dish anyway, and then this particular recipe called for Cilantro!  Wow, over-the-top! I thought.

As luck would have it,  there was a head of Chinese cabbage nestled in the veggie drawer of my fridge, awaiting its raison d'etre.  This recipe listed Savoy Cabbage, but I guessed Chinese would be close enough, and I went off to the grocery store specifically to get the stash of other ingredients to make this dish.

Jump ahead to the finished product:

Reader Dear (pardon my boldness, may I eventually call you Eater Dear?!) there are a few ways I'd tweak the recipe as I made it.  Use Savoy Cabbage rather than Chinese.  The Chinese was a bother to shred.  I felt I had to wash it first since it was a looser head than Savoy.  And it had great big old leaves with stubborn backbones!  Savoy would save you some sanity, I believe.  It's possible it would even give it a classier taste.

Okay, so if you're up to the task, here we go: (Skip step one if you're using Savoy.  Just remove the outer leaves).  If you insist on going Chinese, wash the leaves.
!. Wash leaves.
2.Shave the head (Almost impossible with Chinese, much better with Savoy)  into thin ribbons.

3. Cut 4 Scallions lengthwise into long strands.

4. Chop 1/2 Bunch of Fresh Cilantro (Sniff the heavenly fragrance.  Eat a bit of it)

5. Mix those first three ingredients together.
6. In a separate bowl, put 1 Cup Mayo.  Use Avocado Oil Mayo if you wish to stay true to the original recipe. (It may also be classier,  but I didn't have any, and didn't feel like breaking the bank just to make this slaw).

7.  Add 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons of Sugar.  (You can stick with that amount if you wish.  I added more sugar later, since the original dressing was not sweet enough for my taste.  Perhaps it's because I used sugar instead of the honey that was requested (I'd say required, but it was not a demanding recipe).
**(In this case, Reader Dear [just so you know], I thought I had honey in my cupboard, but did not)

8.  Now add 6 Tablespoons of Fresh Lime Juice (It took three limes to produce this juice)
9.  Mix the dressing and pour over the chopped ingredients.

10.  Take a taste.

11.  Add Salt and Pepper to your liking.

12.  Take another taste.

13.  Take another taste.

14.  Use some self-restraint!  Remember that Cole Slaw improves with age.
One small advantage to going the Chinese route:  The discarded stem makes a handy bowl for the scraps (especially nice if you're delivering them to lady fowl [you know, hens.  They clucked their approval at my presentation.])

7 comments:

Henning Brunk said...

Grelt taste!

KTdid said...

Thank you for your comment, Henning! Did you mean to say "great" or is "grelt" a German word? Q.

sk said...

Bring me some, ple-e-e-ease.

KTdid said...

Dear sk, I want to, oh I want to.
ks

sk said...

I just made it using Napa cabbage (thick and thin parts). 3 limes gave lots of extra juice. I'll let people add the cilantro at the table--Paulson is averse.

So now it's in a big bowl in the fridge. Hang on--I'll report back later.

KTdid said...

I'm on pins and needles!!
Q.

sk said...

OK--

Paulson and Jennifer were the ravers. Paulson thinks everybody liked it but he tends to be oblivious to things--there were 12 of us at the table and not all are cabbage freaks like me. I tried to solicit/commandeer opinions but there was a general mealtime uproar so I gave up on getting any solid calculable data and faded quietly into the woodwork.

Every little bit is gone--we finished up the tiny amount still in the fridge this afternoon after the Pittsburghers left and it was still delish.